Seasport Divers - Dive Ni'ihau
You must be certified for this dive.
Kauai scuba diving in Ni’ihau is a full day diving adventure for the experienced and seasoned divers that takes place in some of the most pristine waters in Kauai! You will encounter incredible wall dives, soaring lava pillars and enormous caves combined with bountiful fish and numerous pelagic! Marine life is diverse and you are likely to encounter spinner dolphins, monk seals, octopus, lobster, tiger cowries, large schools of butterfly fish(pennant, milletseed, and pyramid), bandit and potter angel fish, and possibly manta rays and sharks!
Lying just 17 miles southwest of Kauai, Ni’ihau Island is accessible from Kauai by way of the Kaulakahi Channel. Lehua Rock rests a little further northwest of Ni’ihau. Lehua Rock and Ni’ihau are dive sites that are considered to be the ultimate in Hawaiian diving!
Your morning begins early at 6:00 am with a 20 mile boat trip starting from Kauai’s south shore that takes about 2.5 hours. A delicious breakfast will be provided as the view of beautiful Ni’ihau begins to emerge! The morning’s first dive is short and deep but spectacular which is typically Vertical Awareness or Keyhole! Large schools of Pennant fish cluster about the top of this 280 ft wall and the magnificent lava shelves are home to monk seals, reef fish, pillow stars, and lobsters. The second dive site, known as the Super Highways, is a frequent choice that is visited on a regular basis and is named for its towering lava formation resembling a highway super structure! It is home to a variety of marine life such as octopus, tiger cowries, enormous yellow margin eels and white tip reef sharks. While the divers are exploring all the small caves and swim-thrus, the captain is busy preparing a delightful lunch! The Drive-through Cave or a drift along Lehua Rock is the choice for the third dive. Shallow and relaxed is the theme of this dive as the current and waves are often on the rise at this time of the day but under the water is still the place to be! After the third dive, it’s time to dry off, get warm and ready for the ride back as you watch the beautiful sunset off Ni’ihau Island!
Dive Ni’iha is just one of the many Kauai tours and Kauai activities you should experience while visiting Hawaii so be sure you place your reservation in advance as this tour is only available in the summer months!
You must be certified to dive.
Please download and fill out this required medical questionnaire and bring it with you to the dive.
Green Sea Turtle
Heading to Niihau
- Where and When:
- Check in at 6:00 am at Seasport Divers, 2827 Poipu Road, Koloa, HI 96756 View Map
Tour returns to the Seasport Divers dive shop around 6:00 pm.
- Bring your certification card.
- You must be certified for this dive (certification card must be presented at check-in).
You must have completed at least 30 dives to participate in this tour.
There is a Medical Questionnaire that needs to be filled out and passed to participate in this scuba dive. If participant fails the Medical Questionnaire, a doctor must give a written statement (faxes are OK) that scuba activities are safe and allowed for this participant prior to going scuba diving.
- Special Notes:
- Passage across the Kaulakahi Channel, from Kauai to Ni'ihau and back, can be rough at the best of times. Seasport Divers' Ni'ihau trips are, therefore, only scheduled for the normally calmer period that runs from late spring through early autumn.
- Operation Days:
- Tuesdays and Fridays
- 11-12 hours
- Seasport Divers Kauai
- The Anela Kai is a custom-fitted PRO48 dive boat, U.S. Coast Guard certified for 42 passengers or 30 divers. However, Seasport Divers limits it to only 12 divers for their Niihau scuba diving tour. The vessel is equipped with two hot water showers, a 10-person observation deck, a large covered cabin and two ladders for easy ocean entry and exit.